Thursday, March 31, 2011

Devin Harris | Small Talk | Simon Burnton

The New Jersey Nets star on the NBA coming to London, reading Harry Potter and his favourite pasta shape

Welcome to London, Devin ... It's a pleasure to be here.

Yeah, maybe for you. Have you had a good look around? Not so much. I saw Big Ben, and I think we drove past Buckingham Palace yesterday, but that was as much as I've got to see. I've had a good look around my hotel.

But the good news is you'll be back in March, and actually playing some basketball ... Yeah, I'm really looking forward to it. The crowds here are great. We played here two years ago against Miami and the crowd was amazing then. I watch a little bit of football on TV so I know a little bit what to expect from you guys.

Do you think Britain is ready to become a nation of basketballaholics? I do think it could take off. People are curious enough, and I think it's popular enough already.

Are we more likely to fall for basketball than you are to take up football? I think it's even. America already loves soccer. A lot of my friends played it when they were kids.

So you'll be back here regularly from now on? I think that's the trend they're trying to start ? to follow in the NFL's footsteps, have two different teams play here every year, try to globalise the game. When you see it up close and personal as opposed to on TV, it's got more of an effect.

Will the rest of Europe/the world get a visit too, or is it a special treat just for us? I think the goal is for it to go to other European cities. It's sort of a test run here and then it can expand. I think pretty soon you'll see every NBA team play at least two games a season overseas.

Won't they miss you back in wherever-it-is-you-play? I don't think so. We're moving to a new building and a new city ? they haven't had us for that long so I don't think they'll miss us for a couple of days.

The last time you were here, some English bloke took the mickey out of you on a practise court and the video went viral. Some people thought it was all a set-up arranged by Adidas. What's the truth? I believe it was arranged. Still, I let him get past me too easily and the video was a bit embarrassing. I learned a valuable lesson. Actually I ran into his brother yesterday ? he did an interview with me. We're trying to set up a rematch right now ? I think I'll take that one a little bit more seriously.

And what ? other than revenge ? are your goals for the season? For the team, the target's always to get into the play-offs. Me, I'm trying to get into my all-star form that I had two years ago.

Your other famous moment was a 47-foot buzzer-beater last year that is now known as "the Harris Heave". Do you practise that kind of stuff? Not really, that's just down to instinct.

So if you tried that shot 10 times, how many would go in? I'd say out of 10 I'd hit at least three.

That's pretty good going. Who'd get more, though? Who's the best basketball player in the entire world? Got to be Kobe Bryant. He's been up there a while now.

Enough about basketball, what was the last concert you went to? I believe the last one I went to was Alicia Keys, but I go to a fair amount. I'm going to see Eminem and Jay-Z play together at Yankee Stadium next week.

And what was the last thing you saw at the cinema? I just went to see Inception the other day. It was pretty good, but I hear it's better the second time around so I might have to see it again.

Do you read much? Is there a book you could recommend to Small Talk's avid readership? The last book I read was the last Harry Potter. I think you guys have all read it already.

You've got a pretty intricate tattoo going on down your arm. What's that of exactly? That's kind of my conscience. It's just there with me, all the time. I wouldn't say I designed it but I had a hand in it, me and the tattoo artist himself.

Cheese or chocolate? Well, I'm from Wisconsin so I've got to say cheese.

Why's that? Because Wisconsin is pretty famous for its cheese.

No it isn't. Small Talk has never heard of cheese from Wisconsin? It's true. I think Wisconsin cheddar's the big one.

What's your favourite pasta shape? I like Fettucini Alfredo, so it's fettucini, right?

Fettucini, you say. An intriguing choice. And who would win a fight between a lion and a tiger? A lion ? he's the king of the jungle.

A popular yet considered answer. I'd better give you a little time for souvenir shopping before you head home. Thanks Small Talk. I'll get a souvenir if I can find one.

Good luck Devin, bye! Bye!

NBA Games ? London 2011 will see the New Jersey Nets take on the Toronto Raptors at The O2 on March 4 and 5, 2011 in the first ever NBA Regular Season Games in Europe. Tickets are now on sale at www.theo2.co.uk.


guardian.co.uk © Guardian News & Media Limited 2011 | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds

Estella Warren Cinthia Moura Monica Potter Brittany Snow Lauren German

No comments:

Post a Comment