Saturday, March 26, 2011

V.C.Who? the Little Team That Could Has Taken over March Madness

I admit up front that I hate basketball. Not a fan. Sorry to offend, but I grew up in New Orleans where we had football. Yeah, we had the Jazz for a while, but no joy. Now there's the Hornets, but I still don't care enough to be a fan even if they have a decent season.

Regardless, I fill out my brackets for March Madness every year in hopes of accomplishing two things: Win money for a new pair of shoes I'll wear once, or beat my husband by going further than him. Petty, but true.

This year, while filling out my bracket, I had the choice of Georgetown, where I vaguely remember something about a blue and grey dog & D.C., or a school called USC/VCU. Yeah, NOW I know it was a choice between two schools, but when I picked? Clueless.  

Never heard of USC/VCU, so I picked Georgetown. I went on a two-hour rant one night about how it sounded like an STD sweeping through the brackets when I was "schooled" on how it was two teams and I picked too early. The brackets were open, so I picked.

That led into a two-hour rant about how they shouldn't allow picking until the teams were set.

I usually do better than my husband, so I pick and hide my brackets and pull it out the night of the first game. It's the ONLY time I'll watch basketball without being paid to do so.

My cat's name is Butler (as in Rhett) so I never choose it because I always ask, "Am I picking it because that's my baby's name or because my gut says to?" Yep, that screwed me again this year.

So back to VCU, or as I say every day, VCWho? This team came out of nowhere, nobody thought it should be there, then thought it didn't have a chance. Now, the Rams are in the Elite Eight for the first time in school history.

Three No. 1 seeds eliminated, and here comes this little team that is making heads turn. I don't know who they are or where they came from, but good for you! I only have Kansas left and winning it all, but no chance of winning my pool, so I'm rooting for this little team that nobody thought had a chance.

Go Rams!

 

Reggie Regaw is the wife of Matt Regaw, a B/R Featured Columnist and the founder ofBookieBlitz.com, your one-stop shop for sports articles, previews and predictions. Feel Free to contact Matt at mregaw@gmail.com 

Kelly Brook Robin Tunney Kate Groombridge Dania Ramirez Lucy Liu

No comments:

Post a Comment