Monday, July 18, 2011

Dallas's Dirk Nowitzki shakes off illness to turn the heat on Miami

? Mavericks level NBA finals series with 86-83 victory
? Nowitzki steals show and puts LeBron James in shade

Dirk Nowitzki shook off illness to steer Dallas Mavericks to a series-levelling 86-83 win over the Miami Heat in the NBA finals.

Nowitzki had been struggling with flu in the build-up and although that showed for the first three quarters, he rose to the occasion in the final period, scoring 10 of his 21 points to see his side over the line to draw level 2-2 in the best-of-seven series.

No side have ever come from 3-1 behind to win in the finals but that would have been the challenge facing Dallas, who were 69-65 behind going into the fourth period before their late surge.

In contrast to Nowitzki's show-stealing flourish, the Miami star LeBron James contributed only eight points, a disappointing return as he made just three out of 11 shots.

James maintains his confidence has not dropped as low as his scoring totals in the NBA finals. The two-times MVP said he needed to be more assertive. "I got the ball in the post a few times, and I seen double teams," he said. "I tried to kick it out to guys and they've made shots for us.

"At the same time, I can't let that stop my aggression when they bring two on the ball. I still got to make plays for my team, but also make plays for myself to keep me in the rhythm of the game. I'm confident with my ability. It's about going out there and knocking them down. When you have the opportunity, you have to knock them down."

Dwayne Wade top-scored with 32 points in a losing cause and Chris Bosh added 24 more.

The teams meet again in Game Five on Thursday.


guardian.co.uk © Guardian News & Media Limited 2011 | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds

Adrianne Curry Jennifer Gimenez Katie Cassidy Estella Warren Cinthia Moura

No comments:

Post a Comment